Buddha Patriot

A Classically Liberal Neoconservative Tibetan Buddhist from the Midwest

Saturday, January 12, 2013

So I'm half way through F.W. Mote's 1999 book Imperial China 900-1800 and I find this nugget, a mid-14th Century Chinese poet essentially bitching about Mongol gun-control:

Last year the edict forbidding us to ride horseback;
This year another edict saying we cannot carry a bow.
Yet we still hear about all those robbers who by the light of day
Ride their horses and shoot people on the empire's highway.

The footnote lists: Ne & Gaohua 1985, vol. 1 pp. 192-196 
...which is apparently: Yang Ne and Chen Gaohua, Yuandai nongmin zhanzheng shiliao huibian (Beijing, 1985) 4 vols.   
I'm assuming Volume 1 would have the poem in the original Chinese (which would be freaking awesome).

3 Comments:

Blogger Renata said...

Hello Chris!

My name is Renata and I just recently came across your blog. You have some GREAT posts, including this one. I am also a Buddhist blogger, although most of my posts don't really touch on anything political.

But, as far as I can see, I do agree with your political views, and am happy to have found another Buddhist who does not embrace the "I am Buddhist, so I must also be a leftist" idea.

I look forward to reading your past posts (going on your 7th year- wow!) and of course your future ones!

All the best, and with Metta,

Renata

Wednesday, February 20, 2013  
Blogger Chris said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Renata. I'm glad you like a few of my posts, though I admit a lot of this ends up being just an excuse to vent (and in an "uncivil" manner, I fear).

Of course, I wouldn't (consciously) try to pressure other Buddhist bloggers to adopt "right-wing" views or post on political topics, but I guess I'd like many "western" Buddhists to consider focusing on the more traditional roots of their practice.

Thanks again for your encouragement!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013  
Blogger Mariam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home