Buddha Patriot

A Classically Liberal Neoconservative Tibetan Buddhist from the Midwest

Monday, January 08, 2007

"Letters from Iwo Jima" and Buddha Patriot's emotional breakdown

Went to see "Letters from Iwo Jima" tonight at a free preview at Minneapolis' Lagoon Theatre.
This "Iwo Jima" film is Clint Eastwood's follow-up to his "Flags of Our Fathers", this time from the Japanese side of the Battle of Iwo Jima.
A very well done film, though probably not the best movie-going experience for an overly-sensitive, multi-lingual, multi-cultural redneck like myself.
Having associated with all things Japanese for some 16 years or so now, I found myself emotionally associating too closely with the Japanese soldiers in the film, yet half-cheering on the American fighter planes as they strafed the island. It was a disorientating experience, to say the least.
I am quite proud of my late maternal grandfather who served as an Army tech sergeant in the Pacific, though I don't think I could've served myself in that theater of operations.
At any rate, though it seemed that I had undergone a simple emotionally draining movie-experience, after my wife picked me up I found myself sobbing uncontrollably in the car.
While I am damn proud to be a Minnesotan and an American, a good chunk of my soul is grounded in Japanese soil where I hope to live, teach, and possibly retire someday.
Not to say that I buy into this "futility of war" crap. I'm still a firm believer in the righteousness of the Allied cause in WWII, just as I believe that the West had to challenge and defeat the Soviet Union in the Cold War. I guess that makes me a "neo-conservative" in 2007. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home