Buddha Patriot

A Classically Liberal Neoconservative Tibetan Buddhist from the Midwest

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Original "Buddha Patriot"

One of the ways I know I can be a semi-practicing Tibetan Buddhist and still be a rabid pro-war right-winger is because of this fine gentleman, an immigrant from Cambodia fighting for you and me overseas:

Soldier awarded Silver Star
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1445747.php

......Even as Master Sgt. Suran Sar charged multiple enemy firing at him in
the mountains of Afghanistan, he knew it wasn’t his turn to die.........
Two of the bullets missed. A third creased Sar’s Kevlar helmet and snapped
his chin strap. Sar won’t give the specifics of what happened next, but the Army
Special Forces soldier collected a handful of firearms — most of which weren’t
given voluntarily. And yesterday a Silver Star was pinned on Sar’s chest.
Recalling the March 5 firefight, Sar said: “At that point, I knew I’m coming
home.” He added, “I already know, if I’m supposed to go, I do believe,
I’m Buddhist, and if I’m supposed to go, I’ll go.

.............

Oh, then there's this:
Dalai Lama endorses just wars but not in case of Tibet (AFP)
http://www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/2005/11/6_1.html
...........The allied victory in World War II "saved Western civilization," and
conflicts fought in Korea and Vietnam were honorable from a moral standpoint,
the 14th Dalai Lama said in answer to questions...........


Take that, Left-wing navel-gazing Euro-"Buddhist" scum!!

(Blogger linking not working tonight, so I have to post the full links)

3 Comments:

Blogger Roy said...

Oh come on, It is not very enlightened to use the word scum, and I think the Dalai Lama has hardly endorsed this war in Iraq.

But I am sure that just as it goes with the territory for a good catholic to do what his conscience commands whether the pope says otherwise, it is the same for Master Sgt. Sar.

And I think it is likely that like the Holy Father, Benedict XVI, the Dalai Lama has left fighting in this war to the individual consciences of his followers.

Friday, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Kermit said...

I imagine many Buddhists have fought in many wars over the many centuries since the fai8th split from conventional Hinduism. Hindus aren't shy about picking up the sword, either (Weep not for thy brother, Arjuna).
As for the D.L. I hear he's a big hitter, but a lousey tipper...

Friday, November 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Christ

This is SGM Sar, just want to drop by and say Hello. Thanks for the support.

You can reach me at:
sarun.sar@us.army.mil

Friday, March 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home