Buddha Patriot

A Classically Liberal Neoconservative Tibetan Buddhist from the Midwest

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bush speech on the troop surge

Saw the President give his speech tonight (8pm CST) on the telly. I have to say that though I'm not sure of the wisdom of simply adding more troops to Iraq, I did like his speech- delivery, admission of mistakes, and just a smidgen of Churchill's "Blood, Sweat & Tears".

Had no idea that Dick "American soldiers are Nazis/Khmere_Rouge" Durbin would deliver the Democratic response and only caught snippets of it on the 10 o'clock news.

After viewing a brief reaction by Fox's Shepard_Smith, I surfed over to Charlie_Rose.
As he was listing his guests, I did roll my eyes a bit at former Clinton UN Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, but when he got to Fareed Zakaria, I knew I was done.

I haven't been able to stand Fareed Zakaria ever since he wrote this tripe in the intro to Newsweek's piece on the rise_of_China two years ago:

Americans admire beauty, but they are truly dazzled by bigness. Think of the
Grand Canyon, the California redwoods, Grand Central Terminal, Disney World,
SUVs, the American armed forces, General Electric, the Double Quarter Pounder
(With Cheese) and the Venti Latte. Europeans prefer complexity and
nuance
, the Japanese revere minuteness and minimalism. But Americans
like size, preferably supersize.

You get the idea (kind of like an Indian Garrison Keillor). . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home